In 1913 Culver City was founded by Harry Culver and the city was incorporated in 1917. The first film studio in Culver City was built in 1918 by Thomas Ince . In the 1920s, silent film comedy producer Hal Roach and Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) would build studios in Culver City. During Prohibition, speakeasies and nightclubs such as the Cotton Club lined Washington Boulevard near the studios; as in West Hollywood to the north, their presence was a major factor in Culver City’s resistance to annexation by Los Angeles.
Culver City is a city located in western Los Angeles. The city is surrounded by Mar Vista, West Los Angeles, Palms and Beverlywood to the north; Westchester to the south; the Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights unincorporated areas to the east; and Venice and Playa Vista to the west, along with the unincorporated area of Marina Del Rey.
In part because it was the home of MGM StudiosSince the 1920s, Culver City has been a major center for motion picture and later television production, . It also was the headquarters for the Hughes Aircraft Company from the 1930s to the 1980s. National Public Radio West and Sony Pictures Entertainment now have headquarters in the city.
Groundbreaking is scheduled to begin in 2006 for the first phase of a Light Rail line from Downtown Los Angeles to the intersection of Venice & Robertson in Culver City with a completion date of 2009 or 2010. The stated intent of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority is that the line eventually be extended to the city of Santa Monica to the west.
Culver City has its own school district, Culver City Unified Schoold District. It has five elementary schools, a middle school, two high schools, the Community Day School, the Office of Child Development, and an Adult School.
- Hot Property Newsletter: The temperature is rising August 11, 2018
- What a home sales slump could mean for professionals, buyers August 7, 2018
- Homeowners have more equity than ever but don’t want to tap it August 7, 2018
- Neighborhood Spotlight: Lawndale, true to its name, is a South Bay outlier August 4, 2018
- Wells Fargo foreclosed on 400 people who may have had a chance to keep their homes August 4, 2018
- Wells Fargo to pay $2.09 billion to settle probe into crisis-era mortgage abuses August 1, 2018
- San Diego home price increases continue to outpace nation July 31, 2018
- Explore June's home and condo sales using this map July 31, 2018
- Neighborhood Spotlight: Bell Gardens has modest home prices but is rich in California history July 29, 2018