In 1913 Culver City was founded by Harry Culver and the city was incorporated in 1917. The first film studio in Culver City was built in 1918 by Thomas Ince . In the 1920s, silent film comedy producer Hal Roach and Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) would build studios in Culver City. During Prohibition, speakeasies and nightclubs such as the Cotton Club lined Washington Boulevard near the studios; as in West Hollywood to the north, their presence was a major factor in Culver City’s resistance to annexation by Los Angeles.
Culver City is a city located in western Los Angeles. The city is surrounded by Mar Vista, West Los Angeles, Palms and Beverlywood to the north; Westchester to the south; the Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights unincorporated areas to the east; and Venice and Playa Vista to the west, along with the unincorporated area of Marina Del Rey.
In part because it was the home of MGM StudiosSince the 1920s, Culver City has been a major center for motion picture and later television production, . It also was the headquarters for the Hughes Aircraft Company from the 1930s to the 1980s. National Public Radio West and Sony Pictures Entertainment now have headquarters in the city.
Groundbreaking is scheduled to begin in 2006 for the first phase of a Light Rail line from Downtown Los Angeles to the intersection of Venice & Robertson in Culver City with a completion date of 2009 or 2010. The stated intent of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority is that the line eventually be extended to the city of Santa Monica to the west.
Culver City has its own school district, Culver City Unified Schoold District. It has five elementary schools, a middle school, two high schools, the Community Day School, the Office of Child Development, and an Adult School.
- US Bank Tower, once the West’s tallest building, goes on the block January 16, 2019
- Hot Property: Movie mogul Jeffrey Katzenberg gives up high ground in Utah January 12, 2019
- Hot Property Newsletter: Revving back up? January 12, 2019
- On Carbon Beach, a compound with 100 feet of water frontage lists for $35 million January 10, 2019
- As China’s economy gets the chills, some California firms catch a cold January 10, 2019
- California has 70% of the nation’s priciest ZIP codes when it comes to home sales January 4, 2019
- Hot Property: An oceanfront score for Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban January 4, 2019
- Manhattan home prices fall under $1 million as sellers cut deals January 3, 2019
- Cher sells home in the Beverly Hills Post Office area for about $2.07 million January 3, 2019