Venice is a beachfront district on the Westside of Los Angeles, California, United States. It is known for its canals, beaches and circus-like Ocean Front Walk, a two-and-a-half mile pedestrian-only promenade that features performers, fortune-tellers, artists, and vendors.Venice was home to some of Los Angeles’ early beat poets and artists and has served as an important cultural center of the city.
Venice is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the southwest, by the unincorporated Marina del Rey on the southeast, by Culver City on the south and east, by the Los Angeles neighborhood of Mar Vista on the northeast, and by the city of Santa Monica on the north.
Venice of America was founded by tobacco millionaire Abbot Kinney in 1905 as a beach resort town, 14 miles (23 km) west of Los Angeles. He and his partner Francis Ryan had bought two miles (3.24 km) of oceanfront property south of Santa Monica in 1891. They built a resort town on the north end of the property called Ocean Park, which was soon annexed to Santa Monica. After Ryan died, Kinney and his new partners continued building south of Navy Street in the unincorporated territory. After the partnership dissolved in 1904, Kinney built on the marshy land on the south end of the property, intending to create a seaside resort like its namesake in Italy.
- Hot Property Newsletter: The temperature is rising August 11, 2018
- What a home sales slump could mean for professionals, buyers August 7, 2018
- Homeowners have more equity than ever but don’t want to tap it August 7, 2018
- Neighborhood Spotlight: Lawndale, true to its name, is a South Bay outlier August 4, 2018
- Wells Fargo foreclosed on 400 people who may have had a chance to keep their homes August 4, 2018
- Wells Fargo to pay $2.09 billion to settle probe into crisis-era mortgage abuses August 1, 2018
- San Diego home price increases continue to outpace nation July 31, 2018
- Explore June's home and condo sales using this map July 31, 2018
- Neighborhood Spotlight: Bell Gardens has modest home prices but is rich in California history July 29, 2018