Venice is a beachfront district on the Westside of Los Angeles, California, United States. It is known for its canals, beaches and circus-like Ocean Front Walk, a two-and-a-half mile pedestrian-only promenade that features performers, fortune-tellers, artists, and vendors.Venice was home to some of Los Angeles’ early beat poets and artists and has served as an important cultural center of the city.
Venice is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the southwest, by the unincorporated Marina del Rey on the southeast, by Culver City on the south and east, by the Los Angeles neighborhood of Mar Vista on the northeast, and by the city of Santa Monica on the north.
Venice of America was founded by tobacco millionaire Abbot Kinney in 1905 as a beach resort town, 14 miles (23 km) west of Los Angeles. He and his partner Francis Ryan had bought two miles (3.24 km) of oceanfront property south of Santa Monica in 1891. They built a resort town on the north end of the property called Ocean Park, which was soon annexed to Santa Monica. After Ryan died, Kinney and his new partners continued building south of Navy Street in the unincorporated territory. After the partnership dissolved in 1904, Kinney built on the marshy land on the south end of the property, intending to create a seaside resort like its namesake in Italy.
- US Bank Tower, once the West's tallest building, goes on the block January 16, 2019
- Hot Property: Movie mogul Jeffrey Katzenberg gives up high ground in Utah January 12, 2019
- Hot Property Newsletter: Revving back up? January 12, 2019
- On Carbon Beach, a compound with 100 feet of water frontage lists for $35 million January 10, 2019
- As China’s economy gets the chills, some California firms catch a cold January 10, 2019
- California has 70% of the nation’s priciest ZIP codes when it comes to home sales January 4, 2019
- Hot Property: An oceanfront score for Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban January 4, 2019
- Manhattan home prices fall under $1 million as sellers cut deals January 3, 2019
- Cher sells home in the Beverly Hills Post Office area for about $2.07 million January 3, 2019