Venice is a beachfront district on the Westside of Los Angeles, California, United States. It is known for its canals, beaches and circus-like Ocean Front Walk, a two-and-a-half mile pedestrian-only promenade that features performers, fortune-tellers, artists, and vendors.Venice was home to some of Los Angeles’ early beat poets and artists and has served as an important cultural center of the city.
Venice is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the southwest, by the unincorporated Marina del Rey on the southeast, by Culver City on the south and east, by the Los Angeles neighborhood of Mar Vista on the northeast, and by the city of Santa Monica on the north.
Venice of America was founded by tobacco millionaire Abbot Kinney in 1905 as a beach resort town, 14 miles (23 km) west of Los Angeles. He and his partner Francis Ryan had bought two miles (3.24 km) of oceanfront property south of Santa Monica in 1891. They built a resort town on the north end of the property called Ocean Park, which was soon annexed to Santa Monica. After Ryan died, Kinney and his new partners continued building south of Navy Street in the unincorporated territory. After the partnership dissolved in 1904, Kinney built on the marshy land on the south end of the property, intending to create a seaside resort like its namesake in Italy.
- San Diego home price hits new record high: $550K April 23, 2018
- Fox News host Sean Hannity says he never talked to HUD about loans that helped his real estate investments April 23, 2018
- The Manor in Holmby Hills is back on top at $200 million April 21, 2018
- Mission Valley's Civita breaks ground on low-income rentals April 18, 2018
- L.A King Dustin Brown heats up the Manhattan Beach home market April 14, 2018
- Rising interest rates sounding alarm bells for debt-laden consumers April 13, 2018
- Another high-dollar sale in March keeps things hot in Malibu April 13, 2018
- Lawsuits filed against L.A. County, lenders over green energy program April 12, 2018
- San Diego average rent up to $1,887, breaking record. Will it last? April 4, 2018